Benefits for Young People

MA-EPD Eligibility for Young People

If you get a job and are making too much money or have saved up too much money to get disability-based Medical Assistance (MA), you might be able to keep your MA coverage by getting Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD).

To get MA-EPD, you have to meet certain rules. These rules are a lot simpler than MA’s rules, because they don’t change much as you get older.

To qualify for MA-EPD, you must:

  • Be certified disabled by the Social Security Administration (SSA) or the State Medical Review Team (SMRT)
  • Be working, paying Social Security and Medicare taxes, and earning more than $65 per month
  • Not be eligible for standard Medical Assistance (MA), including 1619(b)
  • Pay a monthly premium. The amount you pay depends on your income. If you are under 18 and live with your parents, the amount of the premium will also depend on their income.

MA-EPD is a great option if you like your current MA coverage and get a job. You don’t have to be afraid you will lose your health coverage.

Tip: If the premium is high, look at individual health plans on MNsure. Learn more in DB101's Buying Individual Coverage on MNsure article.

Cost-Effective Coverage

If you prefer private health care coverage and the county decides that your private coverage is cost-effective, you can get MA or MA-EPD to pay your private health care coverage premium and copayments. This is especially helpful if your employer offers health coverage and you have to pay part of the monthly premium. Chat with a Hub expert to learn more.

How to Apply for MA-EPD

The only way you can apply for Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD) is by filling out the Minnesota Health Care Programs Application for Certain Populations and taking it or mailing it to your local county or tribal human services office. You cannot sign up online.

Note: You should only use this application if you think you might qualify for MA-EPD. If you are not sure whether you qualify for MA-EPD, Chat with a Hub expert.

If it turns out you are not eligible for MA-EPD, you may be able to get MinnesotaCare or private insurance subsidized by the government through tax credits.

For more information, read DB101’s MA-EPD article.

Learn more