Job Supports and Accommodations

Other Job Supports

There are many other job support services for people with disabilities during their transition back to work and participation in the workforce. These include Personal Assistance Services, Vocational Rehabilitation, job coaches, and other long-term supports.

Personal Assistance Services (PAS)

Personal Assistance Services (PAS) are services that another person offers to a person with a disability. These services can include help with:

  • Home activities, such as bathing, dressing, cooking, toileting, and remembering things;
  • Community activities, such as shopping, going to the doctor, and help getting around; and
  • Work activities, such as reading, sign-language interpretation, and lifting or reaching.

Personal Care Assistance Program

Minnesota’s Personal Care Assistance program helps pay for personal care assistants for people with disabilities who need help with day-to-day activities in their own homes.

In general, this program does not offer personal assistance at work. However, depending on a person’s disability, it may be a reasonable accommodation to allow the personal care assistant to come to the workplace to give assistance for personal needs, such as help with toileting. If you do require this type of assistance at your workplace, it is important to tell your employer and discuss your needs and the limit of that accommodation.

To be eligible for the personal care assistance program, you must:

You must also need help specifically with:

  • Activities of daily living, such as eating, toileting, grooming, dressing, bathing, transferring, mobility, or positioning;
  • Health-related procedures and tasks;
  • Other common activities, such as meal planning and preparation, managing finances, shopping for essential items, performing essential household chores, communication by telephone and other media, and getting around and participating in the community; and/or
  • Paying attention to and learning how to change your own behavior.

To find out if you are eligible, contact your local county or tribal human services office .

Workplace Personal Assistance Services

You can use workplace Personal Assistance Services (PAS) to help you perform the essential duties of your job. If you need PAS services, they may be considered a reasonable accommodation under the ADA and your employer would have the responsibility to offer PAS services if you request them.

Examples of Workplace Personal Assistance Services

Here are some forms of workplace PAS that can be used as a reasonable accommodation:

During the Hiring Process

  • Sign-language interpreter during the interview for someone who is deaf
  • A reader for the employment exam for someone who has a visual impairment, or
  • A personal assistant for persons who have limited use of their arms to fill out an application for employers that require using an application kiosk.

During Employment

  • Filing duties, retrieving work materials that are heavy or out of reach, or performing other nonessential manual tasks
  • Assistance with business-related travel for an individual with a mobility or visual impairment
  • Reading to people who are blind

Funding for Workplace PAS

Workplace PAS are often paid for by an employer when they are considered a reasonable accommodation. Additional funding may also be available from the following sources:

Resources for Workplace PAS

Learn more