Parent Focus: Managing Benefits

Reporting Changes to SSI

If your child gets Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, any changes in his or her earned income, unearned income, assets, or living arrangements must be reported to the local Social Security office. Living arrangements include where your child lives and if he or she is paying a fair share of housing expenses, such as rent and utilities. If your child is under 18, you and your child’s other parent must also report any changes in your earned income, unearned income, and assets.

Changes must be reported during the first 6 days of the month after the change. They can be reported:

To find the best way to report earnings, talk to the local Social Security office or to a benefits expert.

Tip: Some people report their earned income every month, even when the amount doesn’t change. That way, they know their benefits will always be up-to-date. Your child can sign up to get a monthly reminder to report earnings.

It usually takes two months for changes in income to affect SSI

The amount your child gets in SSI benefits this month is generally based on how much income was reported two months ago. For example, the amount your child gets in July is based on the income reported for May.

Learn more