Managing Your Benefits While Working

Reporting Your Income

What to Report

If you go back to work, or if your income changes for any other reason, be sure to report your change in earnings to Social Security, your county human services agency, and any other agency that gives you disability benefits.

Be sure to report your work immediately. If you don’t, you’re putting yourself at risk of an overpayment. If you receive an overpayment, you will likely be held responsible for repaying those benefits to Social Security and any other agencies that overpaid you. If you have any questions about this, Chat with a Hub expert.

If you receive both SSI and SSDI, you need to report your earnings to both your claims representatives at Social Security.

When reporting wage changes to Social Security, make sure you report all of your gross income. Also tell them about any Impairment Related Work Expenses (IRWEs) or wage subsidies you get. Your Social Security claims representative will tell you what you need to report and what information you need to send to them.

How to Report

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

For SSI, you can report changes:

There are certain limitations in reporting over the phone, with an app, or with my Social Security. You can't report those ways if you:

You can also Chat with a Hub expert, if you have questions.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

For SSDI, to report changes, contact your local Social Security office and ask how and when you should report your earnings. You may be able to report:

If you’re on SSI and SSDI, you must report your earnings separately to your SSI and SSDI claims representatives.

If you have any questions, Chat with a Hub expert.

Learn more