Building Your Assets and Wealth

Next Steps

Learn More

For general information on Minnesota health care and disability benefits programs, visit the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS).

Tax Help: If you are on a limited income, do not pay someone to do your taxes. Use a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Center to file. Specially trained volunteers will help you take advantage of the tax credits available to people with disabilities. Most centers can e-file your return for free. To find the nearest VITA site, visit Minnesota Revenue or call 1-800-652-9094.

Student Earned Income Exclusion (SEIE): For general information on the SEIE, start at Social Security’s website.

Enrolling in Asset Development Programs

ABLE Accounts: Minnesota ABLE Plan is Minnesota's ABLE account program. Learn more about ABLE accounts and compare different state ABLE programs at the ABLE National Resource Center.

To create an Individual Development Account: For Minnesota residents, the best place to look for an IDA program is the Family Assets for Independence in Minnesota (FAIM) program.

To apply for PASS: You will need to fill out a PASS application, which is extensive. Social Security's PASS Cadres are PASS experts. We recommend that you follow up with a PASS Cadre for assistance. Their job is to help individuals make a plan and apply successfully for a PASS. To contact the St. Paul PASS Cadre (serving all of Minnesota), call 1-866-667-6032, ext. 34021.

To enroll in the Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS): Enrollment is handled through the Public Housing Authority, so the first step towards enrolling in this program is to talk with your local Public Housing Authority. For more information on this program, go to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development website.

To take advantage of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC): Publication 596 is a comprehensive guide to the EITC, providing information on program rules, eligibility, qualifying children and other related topics. You can use the IRS EITC Assistant to help determine whether or not you qualify for an EITC.

To take advantage of the Child Tax Credit (CTC): For information about qualifying for the CTC, and links to forms related to the CTC, visit the IRS website.

Learn About Work and Benefits - Chat with a Hub expert!

When you have questions or need help, use Chat with a Hub expert. This feature connects you to a DB101 Expert using live chat, phone, or secure email. Anything you talk about is private.

Chat with a Hub expert to:

  • Understand your current benefits
  • Get help using
  • Connect to resources
  • Plan next steps

Free Legal Help

Minnesota Disability Law CenterThe Minnesota Disability Law Center (MDLC) provides free assistance to people with civil legal issues related to their disability. Call the MDLC Intake Line at 1-612-334-5970 (Twin Cities metro area), 1-800-292-4150 (Greater Minnesota), or 1-612-332-4668 (TTY).

Find Local Services

Learn more