Energy Assistance

Frequently Asked Questions

The Energy Assistance Program helps people with their heating costs. This includes heating costs that you pay as part of your rent.

Energy Assistance is for people with low incomes who:

  • Live in Minnesota
  • Don’t live in an institution
  • Have housing costs that would increase if the energy bill went up

The income limits for Energy Assistance depend on how many people are in your family. For example, a family of four can have up to $62,822 in income.

The amount you get depends on your income, family size, and heating costs. The average family on Energy Assistance gets $500 for the year.

You should contact your local Energy Assistance provider as soon as possible.

Some families can also get help decreasing their energy costs. The Weatherization Assistance Program helps with energy saving services.

You can find your local Energy Assistance provider on the Department of Commerce website.

It’s important to apply as early in the year as possible. You can apply with your local Energy Assistance provider. You can also download an application. Fill the application out and mail it to your Energy Assistance provider. You can get more information on applying by calling 1-800-657-3710 or 651-296-2860 (TTY).

Families that have members with a disability get priority for the Weatherization Assistance Program.

Learn more