Progressive Disability

Next Steps

Talk to Your Employer

Having a disability doesn’t mean you have to quit working. It is important to know your options before making a decision about leaving your job. If you think you need a reasonable accommodation, talk to your employer's Human Resources department. With the right supports, you may be able to keep working. You can learn more about reasonable accommodations at the Job Accommodation Network or at your local CareerForce location (or call them at 1-651-259-7501).

If you are thinking about leaving your job, talk to the Human Resources department about benefits you may be able to get, such as Short-term Disability Insurance, Long-Term Disability Insurance, and Family Medical Leave.

Apply for Benefits

You can apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI):

You can also apply for SSDI online. If you have an appointment with Social Security, it's a good idea to review the Disability Starter Kit to prepare.

You can apply for Minnesota health coverage programs, including MA:

The only way you can apply for Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD) is by filling out the Minnesota Health Care Programs Application for Certain Populations and taking it or mailing it to your local county or tribal human services office. You cannot sign up online.

If you need help completing an application, contact your county or tribal human services office. MNsure Assisters can also help you with your application.

If you want to learn more about the types of benefits available, has a helpful list of many different types of benefits, sorted by topic.

Bridge to Benefits is a useful tool that can help you figure out which of these programs you may qualify for.

Learn About Work and Benefits - Chat with a Hub expert!

When you have questions or need help, use Chat with a Hub expert. This feature connects you to a DB101 Expert using live chat, phone, or secure email. Anything you talk about is private.

Chat with a Hub expert to:

  • Understand your current benefits
  • Get help using
  • Connect to resources
  • Plan next steps

Free Legal Help

Minnesota Disability Law CenterThe Minnesota Disability Law Center (MDLC) provides free assistance to people with civil legal issues related to their disability. Call the MDLC Intake Line at 1-612-334-5970 (Twin Cities metro area), 1-800-292-4150 (Greater Minnesota), or 1-612-332-4668 (TTY).

Find Local Services

Learn more