Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Other Aspects of SNAP

SNAP and Working

SNAP has rules about working. The person who financially supports the house is called the "principal wage earner". The principal wage earners can’t leave their job without a good reason and still get SNAP.

Minnesota also has a SNAP Employment & Training Program (SNAP E&T) to help people on SNAP prepare for and find a job. Depending on your needs, the program may be able to provide you with job placement assistance, job training, English language training, and other services. To learn more, contact your county or tribal human services office or Chat with a Hub expert.

Note: If you are between the ages of 18 and 50, on SNAP, and don't receive support from any other cash assistance programs (SSI, SSDI, or Minnesota Supplemental Aid, for example), you may be required to take part in the SNAP E&T program. To learn more about SNAP E&T, click here.

Emergency SNAP

People who need help quickly might be able to get help within a day of applying.

To get Emergency SNAP, you need to have:
  • Less than $150 a month in gross income and less than $100 in available cash; or
  • Income and assets that are less than your housing costs.

Other Minnesota Food Programs

The Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) helps families with low incomes by giving them money while helping them find employment. Families on MFIP get help paying for food through the MFIP program. When you get off of MFIP, you might be eligible for SNAP. See DB101's MFIP article for more details.

There are citizenship rules for SNAP. These rules are set by the federal government. Some people meet all of the SNAP requirements except for these citizenship rules. When this happens, and you are over 50 years old, the state might help pay for food through the Minnesota Food Assistance Program (MFAP).

Learn more